NOTE: All submissions must indicate the source for all the material (photos/litanies etc.) and permission for use of included copyrighted material with emails/letters showing that approval has been granted.
Who Can Write for Reformed Worship?
- YOU! We particularly encourage lay persons and worship staff to submit resources that have been a blessing to your worshiping community. Rural or urban, small or large, please consider sharing your blessings.
- Reformed Worship Subscribers:preference is given to articles and resources from subscribers and those in the larger RW community.
- Lay Volunteers, Paid Staff, Ordained Pastors: Some readers have musical, artistic, or theological training, some don’t, but all desire to lead their people in worship that is biblical and creative, expressive and formative.
- Ecumenical: While Reformed Worship is published by Worship Ministries of the Christian Reformed church we value an ecumenical base of readers and contributors and use articles and resources from a variety of traditions. We like to think of RW as Biblical with a Reformed accent.
- Diverse: Our readers have varying worship styles ranging from formal to very informal, those with organ and choir and those with worship teams and bands, those of primarily Anglo membership and those who worship in one of a dozen different languages. We do not presume any prescribed order of worship, though the historic pattern of worship (Gathering, Word, Table, Sending) should be fairly clear.
Pick-Up-and-Use Liturgical Resources:
Entire Worship Service(s) -one service or a series that follows a theme or scripture which should include some of the following:
- Sermon summary or notes
- Music Selections (with possible alternatives)
- Notes on any visuals with pictures
- Links to audio/visual
- Children/Youth involvement
Individual Worship Resource(s)
- Visual idea
- Entire Worship Service(s) -one service or a series that follows a theme or scripture which should include some of the following:
- Reflective Essays on a topic in which the author shares insights and experience for the encouragement and edification of worship planners. Please refrain from pointing out problems unless you also suggest solutions. The best of these reflective articles also include ideas for implementing the ideas proffered.
Scholarly articles and academic formats are not encouraged. Limited use of
quotations is possible with citations within the body of the article. Supporting
resources or ideas may be highlighted through the use of sidebars.
- Informal (First-person is fine)
- New International Version or New Revised Standard Version are the acceptable scripture translations. Other translations are accepted at the discretion of the editorial staff
- Gender Neutral Language for People
- Inclusive of people of varying abilities, ages, and cultures, and be aware of the broader Christian community.
- 1000-2000 words for articles (anything beyond 2,000 may be shortened)
- No limit for worship services/resources
- Word or Google Doc emailed to email@example.com
- Include author’s name, email, and mailing address under the title
- Attach pictures, videos, or audio clips that are applicable to the email or provide access to a drop box (do not embed them in the article)
- Use consistent formatting
- Include hyperlinks where helpful
- Include proper citations, author/artist credits, and permissions for all material used
- Include an author picture (head shot) or group photo if written by a number of people, along with a 1-2 biographical sentence
- High Res
- 11X16 inch size preferred
- at least 1 megabyte in size
- Include name of photographer
- You must have received and include proof of permission from the photographer and any persons in the photo for the image to appear in all versions of Reformed Worship (email is fine).
Due Dates for Seasonally Specific Articles
- Advent/Christmas/Epiphany -May 1
- Lent/Easter -August 1
- Ascension/Pentecost -October 1
- Thanksgiving/World Communion/Reformation Day -February 1
5 cents/published word with the following exceptions
- Worship Services $50.00
- Worship Series $100
- Sing 10 $75
Possible Topics (not an exhaustive list)
- Worship and Mental Health
- Visual arts and worship space
- Intergenerational worship planning and leading
- Multicultural worship
- Christian year
We’re always interested in creative service plans!