Worship Resource File
Several helpful RW subscribers have submitted resources they developed in using the Psalter Hymnal (PsH). In addition, the CRC Worship Committee has worked on two combined liturgies. To receive any of these resources, just write us and ask.
- "List of Songs with Guitar Chords in the Psalter Hymnal." Submitted by both David Ross, Springfield, IL, and Tom Stark, East Lansing, MI.
- "Color-Coding for the Psalter Hymnal." An entire numerical list of the new PsH coded for levels of familiarity (blue for old PsH, green for "go-ahead," yellow for "caution," and red for "stop and plan"), with helpful introductory suggestions. Developed by Norma Malefyt, HudsonvilJe, MI, and Marcia Smits, Holland, MI. Several pastors and organists have found this list very helpful already in introducing new songs.
- "199 Psalter Hymnal hymns included in Austin Lovelace's Hymn Notes for Church Bulletins" (reviewed in RW 7, p. 45). Submitted by Tom Stark, East Lansing, MI.
- "Psalter Hymnal Songs from around the World." A sheet listing songs from Asian, African, Afro-American, Dutch, French, Hispanic, Israeli, and Russian sources.
- 5. "Form for Combined Public: Profession of Faith, Adult Baptism, and Children's Baptism." Prepared by the CRC- Worship Committee.
- 6. "A Service of Word and Sacrament with Focus on Profession of Faith." Prepared by the CRC Worship Committee.
New Psalter Hymnal Resources
Psalter Hymnal Descants is a collection of the descants that appear in the hymnal transposed for B-flat instruments. Edited by Dale Grotenhuis. $3.95 US, $4.75 CDN.
Sing a Psalm of Joy is the fourth in a series of recordings that complement the Psalter Hymnal. Sixteen psalms were recorded by three Ontario-area choirs: the Ambassadors Male Choir, Harold De Haan, director; the Adoramus-Maranatha Choir, John Hunse, director; and the Redeemer College Choir, Christiaan Teeuwsen, director. Teeuwsen also directed the massed choir numbers for this recording.
The recording was made at Redeemer College with the 1987 mechanical-action Rcil organ of 34 ranks and 26 stops. The organist was JanOverduin, who also composed the music for Psalm 114 included as an insert in this issue of RW.
Contents: Psalm 13, 18, 28, 33, 47, 48, 51, 62, 70, 81, 92, 114, 138, 139, 145, 148.
Available on cassette only. $8.95 US, $11.20 CDN.
To order either resource, call CRC Publications at (800) 333-8300; in Canada (416) 336-2920.
Hymn competition in celebration of the I50th anniversary of an urban church in the Reformed tradition. Deadline for hymn text: July 1, 1989. Deadline for a subsequent hymn-tune competition for the winning text: December 1, 1989. Cash award of $300.00 for each winner. For details, contact: Hymn Competition, Central Reformed Church, 10 College NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, (616) 459-3260.
July 9-12, 1989, Grand Rapids, MI
Annual Conference of the Hymn Society of America, at Calvin College. The Hymn Society of America, Inc., Box 30854, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX 76129, (817) 921-7608.
July 9-14, 1989, Princeton, NJ
Conference on Worship and Music: "Psalms for Every Age." Intergenerational worship. Sponsored by the Presbyterian Association of Musicians. Contact: Presbyterian Association of Musicians, 1000 East Morehead Street, Charlotte, NC 28204.
July 16-20, 1989, Ciaremont, CA
Claremont '89. The National Biennial Convocation of The Fellowship of United Methodists in Worship, Music, & Other Arts. Cosponsored by Choristers Guild and the Section on Worship, General Board of Discipleship. Contact: Claremont '89, PO Box 54367, Atlanta, GA 30308.
July 23-27, 1989, Rochester, NY
The Biennial Conference of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians: "Music in the Contemporary Church: Faithfulness in Adversity." Contact: Mark Bigley, Music Department, Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK 74464.
July 30-August 4,1989, Kenosha, WI
Choristers Guild Summer Seminar, at Carthage College on Lake Michigan. Contact: Choristers Guild, 2834 W. Kingsley Rd., Garland, TX 75041, (214) 271-1521.
July 31-Augus't 4, 1989, Nashville, TN
A United Methodist Conference on Ministries with Children. Sponsored by The General Board of Discipleship. Contact: Barbara P. Garcia, Section on Ministry of the Laity, The General Board of Discipleship, PO Box 840, Nashville, TN 37202.
Conferences affiliated with the Presbyterian Association of Musicians:
July 3-8, 1989, Hunt, TX.
Contact: Communications Office, Mo-Ranch, Hunt, TX 78024.
July 9-14, 1989, Los Angeles, CA
Contact: Worship '89, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA 98017.
July 9-14, 1898, Portland, OR
Contact: Cascades Summer Conference, Linfield College, 0245 S.W. Mancroft St., Suite D, Portland, OR 97201.
July 16-21, 1989, San Anselmo, CA
Contact: San Francisco Seminar)', Wilber Russell, San Francisco Theological Seminary, San Anselmo, CA 94960.
July 30-August 5, 1989, Massanetta Springs, VA
Contact: LaRaine Raymond, 1989 Church Music Workshop, Massenetta Springs, Inc., P.O. Box 1286, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.